Has it ever crossed your mind that you can take a virtual tour of museums? Well, you can! And it’s not as dull as you might think.
Taking a virtual tour of museums has it’s pros and cons, but we’re only going to take the positive side of it 🙂 What if I told you that there are numerous virtual tour of museums that you will more likely enjoy online, than actually being there? With that in mind, you might want to consider the below statements, in favor of a virtual tour of museums.
Why should you take a virtual tour of museums?
- tax free. Most of the times a virtual tour of a museum won’t cost you a fortune. There are still a number of museums that offer this for free! Great, right?
- no need to wait in line. For some museums, taking a tour means you have to sit in line and wait for your turn. Well, when it comes to a virtual tour of museums, there’s no line! Or, you might even say that you’re always the first in line.
- no entrance schedule. You can come and go as you please. It doesn’t matter if you decide to take a virtual tour of museums at 3 a.m. or 3 p.m. You’re always allowed to go in and visit.
- no closing hours. Yes. you’ve got it! You can take a virtual tour of the museums anytime, all the time. It’s never closed during holidays or on weekends.
- never too cold, never too hot to visit. Remember those scorching summer days? Or those freezing winter mornings? Well, I bet some have kept you from paying a visit to the museum. One of the best things of visiting online is you don’t have to even know what the outside temperature is!
- no dressing up. While some of us have loved dressing up when we were younger, let’s face it: the older you get, the harder it is. Sure, I still love doing it, but there are some moments when I just simply don’t. Taking a virtual tour of a museum doesn’t mean you have to find the right shoes to match your outfit. A pair of slippers will do just fine!
- feet won’t hurt. That’s because you can simply stay on your sofa, in your bed, on a chair or, if you want, walk around the house a bit. If you get tired, just relax, you’re at home!
- eat during tours. There’s no shame in admitting you’ve craved a burger while enjoying a Picasso! Hungry? We know some tours can get you exhausted, so grab a bite whenever you need it. Nobody’s watching.
Now that staying in your home doesn’t seem such a bad option, you’ll find below some of the best virtual tours of museums, that are truly worth seeing.
The best virtual tour of museums that you can take for free
If you’re an avid culture consumer, then you shouldn’t worry that your visiting days are over. Lucky for you, we have uncovered some museums that have transcended their charm into virtual reality. You will get to explore modern galleries with ancient relics, lush jewelry or intriguing paintings, like you have never before!
The great news is that you can take a virtual tour of museums even if you have to stay at home! Below you will find a selection of the best online museums that have transcended their galleries online and are open to the virtual public!
Louvre Online Tours
If you can’t reach the Louvre museum in Paris, then the Louvre can come to you! There are many activities that you can take on yourself, or with all the family, while virtually visiting Paris and the Louvre. Just use the following link to visit the Louvre museum online.
“Mona Lisa: Beyond the glass” app gives life to Da Vinci’s most famous work of art. You will get to immerse yourself in a 360 degrees experience at the Louvre, that will give you a glimpse of how this wonderful creation came to be. Search for the app on Google Play or App Stroe. It’s free!
Egyptian antiquities, myths, adventures of artists and much more, were are all gathered online so that any consumer may devour them. Don’t be afraid to step in the magical world of virtual museums, as Louvre has been known to leave many visitors wanting for more.
Take a Virtual Tour of the Vatican Museums
While the Vatican Museums remains closed to the public, you can always visit it online.
Among other tours that are listed in Vatican Museums, The Sistine Chapel and the Virtual tour “Room of the Chiaroscuri” are among our favorites! Browsing through the online collection of museums will surely lead you to uncover magnificent architecture and stunning paintings.
The Dali Museum – See It Online
Are you a big fan of Dali’s works? Were you planning on visiting this museum, but you never really made it? Well, you will be pleased to know that you can still see his fine works, online, just by clicking here.
Uncover the collection of Salvador Dali by virtually browsing through its gallery. You will get to see on display some of his famous works of art, without ever leaving your home.
When taking this virtual tour of the museum, you can also visit the neat museum store, take a virtual cafe at the foyer or even a stroll outside!
Take a Look Inside Museo Del Prado
With featured artists like Rembrandt, Rubens or El Greco, it’s no wonder the Museo del Prado has fascinated visitors since the 1819’s. Take your time to absorb the beautiful exhibits that are featured in this online exhibition. Who knows, maybe someday you will also visit it in Madrid, Spain!
The State Hermitage Museum – Visit Online
If you’re thinking of taking a virtual tour of museums, then you simply should not skip seeing the State Hermitage Museum!
It has a vast collection of more than 3 million works of arts that were gathered from around the world. You will be pleasantly surprised of the cultural diversity that you will find, once you virtually set foot in the museum.
The Diamond Room is a delightful display of jewelry, dating from the 16th century up to the 19th century. But, you will find it intriguing to know that it also boasts 1st and 3rd century antiquities,along with other ancient findings.
Online Exhibits at Rijks Museum
Get yourself ready for an online adventure, in today’s Rijks Museum!
This museum has opened its virtual gates to visitors world wide. If you’re curious enough, you will get to savor over 80 wonderful galleries that tell the story of Dutch art.
While over 2.5 million visitors step inside the premise throughout the year, now you anyone can step foot inside, without ever reaching The Netherlands. You have 8 museum views that you can virtually visit, reaching all the way up to the third floor. Not to worry, you won’t get dizzy! Just enjoy!
Wonder Around the Natural History Museum
If you love natural history, then this is one museum you shouldn’t miss! And how could you, when it’s online and free?!
You get to meet ferocious reptiles, precious butterflies, stunning mammals, explore the sea or unearth hidden fossils. It can take you days to see all the short films, take all the 360 degrees tours and see all the collections that are on virtual display.
Enjoy the J. Paul Getty Museum
With over 13 000 stories to tell, the J. Paul Getty Museum is one of the museums that has stepped into the virtual world of arts.
Online exhibits can be visited throughout the day and night, at anytime you wish to enjoy some dramatic architecture, decorative arts, manuscripts, curious photographs or antiquities.
Now that you know there are so many museums open for a virtual visit, which one will be your first to see?